Sunday, July 24, 2005

Beaches International Jazz Festival

Friday night, I went with some friends to the Beaches International Jazz Festival Streetfest.
We lucked out and found a parking spot super close by Queen St, and walked into the action. It was a gorgeous night. Not too hot...there was just enough breeze.
Queen St. East (between Coxwell and Victoria Park) is closed down for the event and a variety of musical acts, food/drink stands, craft tables are set up alond the sides of the street. Some stores are open later for the event and ice cream parlours including yummy Ben & Jerry's were in high demand. I decided to try "In A Crunch" and "The Last Straw". They weren't too bad. I think I was still really full from dinner at Saigon Sister just off of Yonge/Bloor to really be able to enjoy the ice cream. But of course I wasn't going to say no!
We walked pretty far down Queen St. I don't remember to where, but I think the streetfest has extended further than it used to be, because looking off into the distance it didn't look like the partying stopped. I could see a sea of people to forever.
I didn't pay enough attention to which band was which, but I really did enjoy the music. I guess you don't really need to be able to see the musicians to enjoy the music, but sometimes it was just a little too crowded for my liking. Not, "shoving people out of the way" kind of crowded (well, sometimes it was), but I felt too far away from the music.
I think my strategy for next time is to get a cold drink, pick a nice slab of sidewalk, and sit and chat the night away while listening to the fabulous music all around.
Walking back to the car, we walked on the boardwalk. Looking south, there was a dark void lit up by a fast rising, quite full moon. At the horizon is was a beautiful red/orange and turn yellow the higher and higher it flew. Stars speckled the night sky and I was very happy. Looking west, a bright sky reflecting the downtown Toronto nightlife had its share of speckling lights from the CN Tower and neighbouring skyscrapers.
And I couldn't be happier riding the fluorescent lit TTC subway all the way home.

I like it here in Toronto.

No comments: