It's a common question: "What kind of music do you listen to?"
I never really have a good answer. For all intensive purposes, my answer is "everything", and that's pretty boring, but it's the truth.
Or even worse: "What's your favorite band?"
Or how about: "What's your favorite kind of music?"
I don't know the answer. Music is music is music. There's some kinds of music that I like better than others, but I listen to everything. All music is good for your soul.
I don't own a walkman. I don't own a discman. I don't own an mp3 player. I don't own a stereo. I don't own an iPod. I think those are a couple reasons why I don't get obsessed about certain types of music.
Oh, I guess I lied a bit. I do own a walkman or discman, but I don't use either of them. And they're both hand-me downs anyway.
At work I will put on MTV Radio to pep up the workroom. At home (in Neuch) I flip my telly to MTV France quite often.
My radio (in Neuch) is set to Espace 2 which I listen to before bed, and am woken up to the same sounds.
Here in Toronto, the radio in my room and in the car is set to Classical 96.3FM. Sometimes I switch to some kind of Top 40 station, but I usually end up back on Classical.
I grew up sitting in the backseat, listening to CBC Radio, before it became "Radio One". AM radio was where it was at. 740AM if I'm not mistaken (still remember listening to the show when they switched over and the personalities were joking about how they would have to learn how to use "FM" voices). Many nights of "As It Happens" (Radio That or The Show That *insert punch line here*) to the ballet studio and on the way home, "Ideas" which meant it was time for bed. Knew we were late for Chinese School if "The House" had already started. If we timed getting picked-up right, we got to hear the Gremlins theme song and "Double Exposure". I think that show is the only reason I know how different politicians sound. Couldn't wait for "Quirks and Quarks", and still love the show even after Jay Ingram passed on the torch to Bob McDonald. Knew the end of the Saturday driving marathon was coming to an end if "The Inside Track" and "definitely Not The Opera" had come and gone. I still do a double take when I hear Sook-Yin Lee's voice nowadays, because I still think of her as a Much Music VJ (I know, it's been awhile). And the hush that comes over the car (even to this day) when the beeps come on signaling the big hand reaching the 12 and the hourly news soon to follow.
In Grade 7 I decided to be cool and listen to 640AM with Tarzan Dan. That station folded, and years of following him along with the Jesse and Gene (don't know spelling - it was radio) Morning Show through various AM and FM Top 40 stations passed by.
The car radio has many stations pre-programmed that I'll flip through, but classical music seems to win out at the end.
Anyway, the point of this post was to say that I think I'll post some names of classical music pieces every so often just for fun. They'll probably be pieces that I enjoy for a variety of reasons. Take what you'd like out of my choices.
No comments:
Post a Comment