In front of the building across the street from school is a piece of interactive art. Well, today, they’re taking it down. The day that I had my camera ready to take a picture of it. Darn.
I don’t really GET art…I just make up what I think it means, so this could all just be nonsense.
It’s a big metal crate that you find on transport trucks or on trains with rectangular holes cut into the sides. So the crate is sitting on the pavement, and the sides (not the top or bottom) have these rectangles. In the rectangles, you can reach in with your hand and touch a roll of packing tape that’s fixed to the inside. About 5-10 paces (depending on which side you’re at) is a metal grid fence.
The art was prepared during the weekend I was in Munich, so I’m not sure how it started. I just remember that before I left, there was a big, blue metal box, and I just thought is was there because they were doing construction in the area (which they are doing). After my return from the trip I saw the “art”.
Basically, you’re invited to take the tape, pull it out (still attached to the roll) and tape it to anything. The fence, the ground, the box, a tree and/or other pieces of tape.
It looks like a metal box in the middle of a web of packing tape. That’s fenced in.
I participated twice. On time I lost the end of a roll of tape…I thought I ruined the art, but the next day when I walked by, someone must have found the end because a long piece came out and was attached to a pole. Attached to each rectangular opening is an edge that you can cut the tape on, so you can cut off the piece that’s already been used and repull your own piece. Kind of sucks that the “art” you created could just as easier be ripped off by someone else and be replaced with their own. Maybe that’s part of the “message”?!?
I read/heard something about how it’s supposed to symbolize immigrants or something like that? My French is far from perfect, and the billboard wasn’t too descriptive.
There’s another crate about 20 paces away from the original one, but there’s nothing special about it. There’s just an advert/billboard sitting on top of it for Migros grocery stores.
A lot of the teachers don’t like it. They think it looks like garbage and is environmentally friendly. I, of course being me, think it was cool and as mentioned, participated in the project.
No comments:
Post a Comment