The same weekend as the Fete, was the Desalpes in a nearby town just east of Neuch.
Desalpes is the descending of the cows to lower altitudes after they have been grazing at higher altitudes during the spring/summer months.
There was a little parade with floats, bands and other entertainers as well as of course the cows and other animals (sheep, goats). Along the main road, booths selling food, drinks and hand-made goods were set up. There was some fab lemon pie and even a "Canadian booth" set up by a Quebecker. (He was selling maple syrup products.)
You may know that cows here wear cowbells (I bought quite a few as souvenirs last time I was here).
Cows enter contests. The "Best in Show" cow gets a MAMMOTH cowbell as a prize. It seems sort of backwards though. You're great Mr. Cow, but now you have to lug around a heavy bell all the time. And it's so huge that you can't pick your front feet up because it'll hit the bell.
I guess it's more bragging rights for the farmer. Or maybe we underestimate cows and they like parading around all-macho and stuff moo-ing about how great they are with their big bells.
Anyway, basically, the cows in the parade had some big bells. Some had little ones though. I guess they didn't win any contests.
Some of the cows also had branches of fir trees (with ribbons tied on the little branches) tied to their heads. Decoration? I don't know.
No comments:
Post a Comment