Wednesday, October 13, 2004

More smells

At the beginning of this week, the city gave the official "go ahead" for the Vendanges to begin.
As the local school students have last week and this week off from school, some get jobs picking grapes to make some extra pocket money. Many families end up going on vacation for the two weeks.
It's interesting...the fact that in the newspaper (and I'm sure somewhere else) it was formally announced that the Vandanges could begin. Makes it sound so...I don't know, like there should be a town crier walking through the streets ringing a bells and shouting "Hear ye, hear ye!" I like it.
Anyway, before this week, on the trek from the bus stop to my apartment, there's this one little moment where you get a whiff of grapes. It's such a nice smell. Smell association: my first piano teacher's Thornhill house. Wine grapevines in the backyard and a little pond with big fish.
This week however the smell a little more wine-esque. I don't like the smell of wine. It's just not as fresh smelling or something. Like, more acidic? Maybe it's just a too concentrated of a smell this week and it's throwing me off.
On the walk/bus ride home I'd see people in the fields picking grapes. I felt like asking if I could volunteer to pick grapes for a little bit, just to say I've done it during the Vendanges. I never ended up doing it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Go volunteer to pick some grapes. Life is experience. Maybe you can put a few in your mouth and tell us they are not sour. Y